Thursday, October 13, 2011

More Changes...


                It’s official, I e-mailed my academic advisor and I’m withdrawing from college. I feel like my time is better spent being here for my parents. My dad went back to the ER the Saturday we were in Austin for the Android BBQ. My mom had called to tell me, but also told me not to worry and to try and enjoy myself. I tried to do that, but when there wasn’t some sort of excitement going on I couldn’t help but wonder how he was doing and what was going on at home. The hospital was still maintaining that his problems were all in his head, something called convergence. I’ve heard of it before, but I had a really hard time believing that was the real problem. However, because the hospital couldn’t find anything else wrong with him it was the only answer they had. So that Monday my mom took my dad to his primary care doctor and after he looked at my dad’s tests he decided that his convulsions were indeed because of the high levels of Dilantin in his system. So the doctor lowered his dose of Dilantin and told my mom to keep an eye on him. When I got home late Tuesday night I was happy to see him sitting in his chair watching TV and looking really good. I gave him a hug and we talked for a while. I told my parents all about the trip (well, the sober parts I could tell them anyway, LOL). So far it seems he’s been good. He told me the other day he felt like an episode was coming on so he took one of his pills and lay back down. The hospital gave him these pills for stress. He’s supposed to take them if he feels an attack coming on, so that’s what he did. I’m glad he told us and I’m glad he knew to take one of his pills. He’s been doing physical therapy to try and build the strength in this legs back up. We found out awhile back that when he got hurt on the job about 15 years ago now that he had broken his leg, but the hospital never checked that so we didn’t know. He always complains about his leg hurting and now we finally know why. It’s good that we know, but I wish there was something we could do. I don’t think my mom would be willing to talk to a lawyer and see if we could sue the hospital for negligence though.

                Well, I’m sure you’re wondering why I dropped out of school, again. It isn’t just that I want to be here for my parents. It’s also because I’ve gotten to the point where I dread doing my school work these days. I’m so bored with what I’m reading and the classes I was assigned this term were so technical and confusing that I just knew I would fail again and trying to pay another $1500 for a school term out of pocket is out of the question. So I thought about it for a few days and I think this is what’s best for now. I want to be able to relax and do some of the things I’ve wanted to do for a long time. Maybe after the first of the year I’ll look at a different school and a different major. Maybe something in art or maybe just a general studies degree because I know a college degree is important these days and I would be the first on my dad’s side of the family to graduate from college. Maybe, just maybe I’m not meant to go to college, we’ll see. In the mean time I don’t want to give up. I’m going to try and find a job and take care of things here at home. I could probably ramble on and on about all the things going through my head right now, but that would bore people so I’m just going to end here and hopefully I’ll have another update soon. I know I still need to post pictures from the BBQ and I will…I PROMISE! J

No comments:

Post a Comment